A short in an extension cord appears to have been the catalyst in a Selkirk Avenue house fire on Saturday evening, January 29, 2022.
When crews arrived on the scene shortly after 5:30pm they found smoke coming from the one-and-a-half storey house and launched an offensive attack. The fire was declared under control at 6:06 pm.
Paramedics assessed two people who had self-evacuated the home prior to emergency crews arriving. Both people were taken to hospital in unstable condition.
A search of the home discovered four dogs who had died and two cats who were injured. Firefighters provided the cats oxygen before they were handed over to animal services and take to an emergency vet for treatment.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service released a set of reminders for residents to follow to help avoid these types of fires:
© News4.ca 2022