Winnipeg Police are reminding Winnipeggers to be mindful of thieves stealing packages from doorsteps when you order online during the holiday season or are expecting gifts through the mail or by courier.
Known as “Porch Pirates” thieves targeting package deliveries is a growing trend in the U.S. but still makes up a small number of these kinds of thefts in Canada. Many online retailers do not require signatures when packages are delivered allowing courier drivers to leave the package if no one is home.
Here are a few tips to consider if you are expecting delivery of a package:
- Use tracking numbers to anticipate delivery dates, times, and the whereabouts of the package
- Schedule deliveries for a time when someone is expected to be home to receive them
- Ship items to a person/place where you know someone will be able to receive the package
- Set up text or email delivery notifications
- Designate a safe location for parcels to left outside and out of view
- Have a neighbour secure the package for you while you are not home
- Have package delivered to your nearest post office (Canada Post Flexdelivery service)
- Set up a signature requirement for receiving packages
- Install security cameras to monitor deliveries
© 2018 News 4