Winnipeg Police have arrested and charged 29-year-old Andres Michael Pavao in connection to a human trafficking investigation.
Police say that they began looking into Pavao after an adult female showed up at a district police station and reported she had been held captive.
The woman told police that she had been forced to come to Winnipeg from southern Ontario after being threatened with violence. Once in the city she was held captive and forced to work as an escort. The victim had been severely assaulted over an extended period and was often given electric shocks. She was confined to a freezer on numerous occasions as well.
On Sunday, September 2, 2018, member of the Tactical Support Team arrested Pavao in the 500 block of Maryland street.
He has been charged for his alleged involvement with:
- Trafficking in Persons
- Aggravated Assault
- Procurring Person to Provide Sexual Services
- Forcible Confinement x 2
- Uttering Threats to Cause Death or Bodily Harm
- Overcome Resistance by Attempting to Choke or Suffocate x 2
- Assault with a Weapon x 2
- Advertising Sexual Services
- Material Benefit from Sexual Services
Pavao was detained in custody.
© 2018 News 4