May 14 and 15 Curbside Give Away Weekend
Time to clear out the basement of those unwanted treasures. Next weekend Winnipegers will be hitting the streets looking for the bargain of the year – FREE!
Every spring and fall the city designates one weekend where residents can place unwanted items on the curb and collectors can “shop” the items and take what they want.
There are rules that have to be followed. First is that unless it has a “FREE” sign posted the items cannot be removed. That’s to stop your garden rake being taken while you step into the house for a cold beverage.
- Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
- Don’t walk or drive on private lawns or gardens.
- Don’t discard any items on private property.
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block driveways with your vehicle).
- Watch out for children.
There are also some guidelines for those placing items on the curb.
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
- Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
- Store items out of sight that you don’t want to give away.
- Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
The idea is to place good condition used items that you may not need any longer but someone else can use. The city has a list of suggested items but that isn’t the only thing you can put out.
Examples of giveaway items include:
- books, CDs and DVDs
- furniture, electronics and small appliances
- sports equipment and toys
- yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes, shovels)
- kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- unwanted gifts
- construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Please do not put out:
- items that could be unsafe
- items infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
Have fun shopping.