Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to a home at 6:47 pm on Saturday, June 5, 2021, in the 2900 block of St. Mary’s Road for a report of a fire.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they found smoke in the house and launched an offensive attack. The fire was declared under control at 7:14 pm.
The residents of the home were able to safely get out before firefighters arrived.
Fire officials say that the fire was in a kitchen in the home and is believed to be accidental. They say a combustible item left by a heat source ignited.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service is reminding Winnipeggers that there are a number safety tips that can help prevent kitchen fires.
- Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains — should always be kept away from all heat sources (oven, stovetops, appliances, etc).
- Always stay in the kitchen while cooking.
- Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
- Oil should always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.
© News4.ca 2021