A construction worker is dead after a home he was working in on Beck Cove had filled with carbon monoxide.
On Wednesday evening, July 26, 2023, emergency crews responded to a medical incident at the construction site.
As paramedics entered the house their carbon monoxide detectors attached to their equipment bags sounded indicating unsafe levels of the orderless, colourless, tasteless gas. The paramedics worked fast to evacuate bystanders who had been providing medical attention to the victim. The worker was declared dead at the scene.
When firefighters entered the house they found reading of more than 2,000 parts per million (ppm) inside the structure.
Two bystander were assessed and one of them was taken to hospital in unstable condition. The first paramedics who had entered the home were also taken to hospital for assessment and treatment.
Investigators believe that a gas-powered pump running in the house was the source of the carbon monoxide. The building was ventilated. Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health were notified of the incident.
© News4.ca 2023