At 9:00 am on Wednesday, March 1, 2023, construction work on the St. Vital Bridge that crosses the Red River will begin.
The first phase of work will be on the southbound lanes. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Various traffic impacts are expected during the course of the project which is expected to continue until 2024.
The project includes:
- New bridge surface to extend the bridge’s lifespan by 50 years
- A new, widened multi-use pathway on each side of the bridge
- Improvements to the pedestrian tunnel under the bridge
- 1,450 metres of new multi-use pathways and sidewalks through the adjacent community
- Better traffic flow and safer crossings at nearby intersections
- Enhanced pedestrian and cycling connections
- New trees and landscaping
The city says that when the project is complete the speed limit on Dunkirk Drive from Clare Avenue where it meets Glenview Avenue will be reduced to 60 km/h from the current 70 km/h.
Drivers are warned that significant traffic delays are expected during the project and alternate routes should be used.