A-69-year-old male is facing a number of charges related to child sexual abuse imagery after a months-long investigation.
The WPS Internet Child Exploitation Unit began an investigation in Decemeber 2021 after learning that child sexual abuse images were uploaded to social media from a Winnipeg residence.
Police identified a suspect and on February 23, 2022, a search warrant was executed at a Prichard Avenue home. Kenneth Scott Coffey was arrested for allegedly accessing and possessing child pornography. During the search of the home police seized two cell phones a evidence.
The investigation determined that the accused allegedly accessed, possessed, made, and distributed Child Sexual Abuse Imagery and communicated with children under the age of 18 for the purpose of luring from August 2019 to February 2022. A forensic analysis of the seized phones uncovered more than 120 photos and videos of child pornography.
Police formally charged Coffey for his alleged involvement earlier in May with:
- Makes, Prints, Publishes, or Possess for the Purpose any Child Pornography
- Possession of Child Pornography
- Accessing any Child Pornography
- Luring a Person Under 18 years of age by Means of Telecommunication x 4
- Transmit, Make Available, Distribute or Sell Sexually Explicit Material to a Person Under 18 years of age x 3
- Imports, Distributes, Sells, or Possess for the Purpose of Distribution or Sale any Child Pornography
As mandated by the Criminal Code of Canada Coffey was released on an Appearance Notice.
Police are continuing to investigate this case and ask anyone who would like to speak with investigators to call (204) 986-6172 or the Child Abuse Unit at (204) 986-3296.
© News4.ca 2022